Sunday, November 08, 2015

Summer berry porridge

The one thing that people who achieve stuff seem to have in common is that they get up and do things, rather than sitting and waiting for the right moment to strike. I admire this, I really do, but I can't seem to make it happen. Take bircher muesli, for example. I love eating it, but I've never been a great one for making it, all that grating and soaking and being a step ahead. Many's the spring or summer morning when I've thought, 'if only I had stayed up last night, grating apple and squeezing orange juice so I could be eating bircher muesli, then I wouldn't be scarfing down a peanut butter-laden crumpet as I run for the bus'.

Then, one night, quite by chance, I just happened to stir a few things together and in the morning, without realising it, I had made a kind of bircher muesli. I didn't even have to grate anything! Maybe I can achieve greatness after all. 


Summer berry porridge
This is hardly a recipe, more a set of guidelines. But hopefully they'll help your mornings flow a little more smoothly and make you feel like less of a hopeless failure at life in general. This amount makes enough for four to six breakfasts - because I'm the only one that eats it in my household I make half this quantity so it's not sitting in the fridge all week. If you forget to make it the night before, just stir it together as soon as you get up. By the time you've had a cup of tea and a shower, it will be completely edible.

2 cups rolled oats
2 cups almond milk (coconut milk is also good)
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup seeds - pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, chia
2 cups frozen berries

Mix all the ingredients together (I put them in an ice cream container), then cover and store in the fridge overnight. To serve, scoop out a portion into a waiting bowl, then top with a few more berries and a dollop of yoghurt. 

Have a great week, everyone!

12 comments:

  1. Perhaps you are destined to have greatness thrust upon you :-) Great bircher muesli at least - ha ha! How many does this serve- I can't remember how much we use for porridge but it looks like a lot of oats. I'd like to try it but wonder about just trying half the serve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so (re the greatness!)
      This makes enough for 4-6 hearty eaters - try it with less oats and let me know how you get on.

      Delete
  2. I still haven't made bircher museli - I just don't think about breakfast at night! But I love the sound of this and like the fact it'll be good after half an hour too so I wouldn't have to wait all night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corina - feel the fear and just do it, etc. It is really easy.

      Delete
  3. i'm obsessed with porridge at the moment but we're going into scrambled egg on toast season here... lovely summer berry porridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never scrambled egg on toast for breakfast season in my house!

      Delete
    2. But you hate porridge Dom????

      Delete
  4. Its a soggy, wet, cool Autumnal day here, perfect for porridge and the summer berries will cheer up this most miserable of days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate (it's pretty wet and cool here too - at least you have the excuse that it's autumn!)

      Delete
  5. Very nice article with healthy food recipe.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very weird. I was just this minute thinking, I really must put some oats on to soak before I go to bed tonight. I've been meaning to do it for ages and ages but now I've read this, I know it will happen and I can stop thinking of myself as a total failure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy, I must give this a go -- shake up my mornings a bit!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...